Wednesday 14 September 2011

Growing vegetables...

I'd like to say a few words about my veggie plants - actually, there are only two: chillies and cherry tomatoes. I have strawberries growing but their season has ended so they look like a bunch of weeds at the moment. My chillie plants are really doing well, they've had the sunshine, had the warmth, had the good compost from the growbag, and now there are about ... I'd say 25 to 35 each plant, ranging from big fat ones to little baby ones just emerging. So 3 plants = 75-100. Wow. I also have another Scotch Bonnet chillie plant with many on it (30-40). Looks like I better start learning how to make curries! As for my tomatoes, I have 6 cherry tomato plants which I only realised several months ago you had to chop off their growing stems (I like the phrase 'behead') as nicely or as brutally as you want. So now they are really ripening, having swelled up to be the size of a ... we won't go there. Table-tennis ball, yes, that type of ball. I have around 100 I think, and I've already picked 10-20.

OK, enough of my wonderful gardening successes. I am here, quite simply, to help YOU grow something. I totally failed growing courgettes (they don't seem to like growbags) perhaps because their roots got way too damp down there (sorry, courgies) so I chucked 'em in the river (sorry, courgies). They're all dead now. So, if I would recommend a veggie plant to be grown preferably outside on a balcony that gets at least 3-4 hours of good sunlight in the Spring/Summer (May to August) per day it would be these two. Tomatoes thrive in grow bags, but you must must water them. Leave a comment if you want more good honest advice.

In the past, I have successfully grown runner beans (massimo crop), French beans (tasty), peas (sweet), Brussell sprouts (cute little mini-cabbages), onions (bees and wasps LOVE their flowers), garlic and rhubarb. They were all grown at my previous home in Devon in a fairly small patch at the back which was elevated and did not receive much sunlight. Lots of snails and slugs came, ate pellets, and sort-of fizzed to death (sorry to put it so dramatically, I hope I haven't caused any tears), but many also evaded them and munched on my peas. I threw so many pellets that they started to get mouldy. Still the pests invaded. That's life I guess.

My next post will be on... well, it could be anything. I watch the news, and I have views!

No comments:

Post a Comment