Wednesday 14 September 2011

Studio Ghibli and their wonderful animations...

I have to tell you about a wonderful animation (or anime) creator named 'Studio Ghibli'. You may have heard of them, but I just find their anime films so amazing. A new one is coming to the Cinema - 'Arrietty'. I think it is the first time one of their creations is on the big screen. The first one I saw was on Film4 and is called 'Castle in the Sky' and it is just so atmospheric. It really shows the difference (huge difference) between 'cartoons' and 'anime' films. Did you know that one of their more recent creations, 'Spirited Away', is the highest grossing film in the Japan ever? I didn't. And yet it still does not have the amount of limelight it deserves. Well, until now, perhaps.

I would definitely urge you to watch one of their creations. Right now I am watching the anime that started off Studio Ghibli - 'NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind'. I guess these animes go hand in hand with my love of nature. It must be true, otherwise I wouldn't feel so attached to them. 'Nausicaa' was made in 1984 and it begins with a lonely peaceful village (Valley of the Wind) which is invaded by a big army (Tolmekians),  who want to unleash one of the Great Warriors from his embryonic cell who were responsible for the apocalypse a thousand years ago. Why? To destroy the giant insects that have thrived in the so-called Poisonous Jungle, made so by the pollution caused by mankind. The embryo was found in the village of Pejite, but the Tolmekians with their superior firearms and tanks, invaded and stole it from them. The protagonist is Princess Nausicaa, a much loved young girl who lives to protect the insects and their habitat. It is really creative and thoughtful, and most of all, it is so beleivable. It is like a different world already crafted, and all you have to do is immerse yourself in it.

If you're interested (I really hope so), watch the original with the subtitles. The Western remake has absolutely no character (1980). If you really hate reading subtitles though, there is a newer one made in 2005 which is totally uncut and simply re-dubbed. I'd love to know what you made of it, and if any people out there are as much into it as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment